Please email the FCEPTA President at email@example.com, if you would like to volunteer on a committee.
A list of committees is below:
For more information on any of the Committees below, contact the Committee Chair(s) or any member of a committee.
- Art Shows at both schools give families an opportunity to see their children’s artwork and progress. While the actual art shows are only one night each, artwork remains on display in the schools for several weeks.
- Assemblies give children at our schools a look at creative people and groups in action.
- Book Fairs raise vital funds for the libraries via a sale of new books for all ages and levels.
- Box Tops is a fundraiser with General Mills; children may deposit collected box tops from various products into designated receptacles at each school.
- Enrichment Activities a pilot program, new for FCEPTA, will begin in October and run for 8 weeks. Classes offered at Thomas Jefferson, led by TJ teachers/parents/outside vendors in partnership with Baroody Camps. Topics include STEM, art, physical activity, theater arts, music, and chess.
- Fall Carnival is a FCEPTA-sponsored event for all families to celebrate the start of Fall with moon bounces, obstacle courses, cotton candy, face painting, field games and much more!
- Fall Social is an annual catered, adults-only event held in the backyard of a private home to promote friendships among the FCEPTA parent community.
- Hippo-Tiger-Giraffe Games is an annual event pitting elementary-school staff against their peers in exciting Olympic style set of games. This family event also includes the Class Basket Raffle.
- HTG Class Basket Raffle is a way for individual classes to work together to create a gift basket to raffle off during the Hippo-Tiger Games. Proceeds benefit the FCEPTA. The Room parents coordinate the class basket theme.
- Hospitality arranges for Back to School breakfasts for staff and Staff Appreciation refreshments.
- Ice Cream Socials are much-loved events at the beginning and end of the school year, held in conjunction with the Info Fair and PTA elections.
- International Night: consistent with the PYP curriculum, International Night fosters an appreciation for the diversity of students’ backgrounds and promotes tolerance of different cultures. Students are encourage to dress in clothing that represents their country of origin, volunteers host country tables and families feast on foods from around the world!
- Media Center (TJ) organizes parent volunteers for library duty, including reshelving and inventory.
- Membership/Directory compiles and publishes the Student Directory, and tracks paid memberships in the FCEPTA.
- Odyssey of the Mind is an annual competition, with parent coaches working with teams to come up with creative solutions to problems.
- Original Works is a fundraiser in which artwork created by your child can be put onto a variety of merchandise for purchase, with a portion going back to the schools.
- Picture Day volunteers help with school pictures by taking order forms and maintaining order.
- Principal Coffees at both schools give parents a chance to interact with the principals in a smaller setting, and hear about programs and innovations at the schools from other staff members.
- Retail Rewards is a committee that works with Giant Food, Harris Teeter, BJs and Amazon Smile. Families designate schools to receive a portion of monies spent at the supermarket.
- Rising Kindergarten Playdate is a fun event where parents/guardians/grandparents can bring their rising Kindergartner to meet new friends, and hopefully help any anxiety they may have – about entering Mt. Daniel Elementary School that Fall. The event is hosted by FCEPTA, so there is no charge to attend.
- Room Parents work with each classroom teacher on activities such as parties, field trips and the Class Basket Raffle.
- School Supplies chairs compile orders for kits of school supplies for each grade; a portion of sales goes back to the schools.
- Screen Free Week is an annual event in which the FCEPTA strives to cut down on TV, computer and electronics time in families by offering alternative activities and incentives from local businesses
- Spiritwear is specially branded MD and TJ clothing, available at the start of each school year.
- Website is a tool for all FCEPTA families for important information, forms and links. We welcome your feedback.
In order to volunteer in our schools (e.g. go on field trips, help with art classes), you must submit a Volunteer Information Form to FCCPS. Here’s a link to their form.
Current Volunteer Opportunities
For current volunteer positions, check our weekly newsletter, which is published every Friday morning throughout the school year.
Ongoing Volunteer Opportunities
Room Parent Volunteer
Volunteer in your child’s classroom as a Room Parent. Sign up form here.
More about being a Room Parent at the Room Parent microsite here.
TJ Media Center
Have your children enjoyed borrowing books from the TJ Media Center? We will need people to replace those one thousand books a week on the shelves. If you would like more information on helping out, please respond to this form. Thanks!