Give Day is:
- An FCEPTA service learning initiative to get our kids and families involved in community service.
- It takes place each year on MLK Day Day and is open to all elementary students and their families.
- Each year, 5th graders apply to become GIVE Day “Ambassadors” and learn how to raise funds and awareness for the GIVE Day event. In 2019, we had 60 Ambassadors (more than ever)!
Thank you to our 2019 Volunteer Leaders: Christine Buchholz, Regan Davis, Jenn Beck, Ginnette Brock, Angie Mellon, and Laura Gould for the countless hours they spend shepherding our Give Day Ambassadors and coordinating with our partner agencies. A special thank you to Carrie Checca, PYP Coordinator for FCCPS, for supporting this project
Thank you to our 2019 Sponsors: Clare and Don’s, Dogwood Tavern, Focal Point Homes, Markon, Mill Creek, RCN
- 1600+ Power Packs for Food for Others for local area students
- Hundreds of chew toys for Arlington Animal Welfare League
- $1000 for North Valley Community Foundation Camp Fire Fund
- 26 units of blood donated
- 139 snack packs for DC Scores
- 12 snack packs for Falls Church Homeless Shelter
Give Day allows all our students and families in FCCPS an opportunity to build skills and celebrate the IB character traits. All students have a chance to live out the the characteristic of being “caring” by donating food, money and/or time to the many people that Give Day supports.
Here are just a few examples of how 5th Grade Give Day Ambassadors had special opportunities for leadership:
– speaking in front of City Council
– participating in fundraisers and articulating their goals to community members
– choosing the organizations they wished to partner with
– traveling Food for Others on a field trip to tour the facility, understand local hunger issues and weigh themselves (in groups) on the largest scale they’ve ever seen and set a goal of collecting more food than their collective weight