Join us to highlight how important kind words and simple actions are, especially this year. The “Make Someone Smile“ campaign is here to spread laughter, joy, and kindness in our schools and throughout the Falls Church community.
Ideas for the SMILE campaign include:
- Hang a smiley face or heart in your window to show your support for the “Make Someone Smile” Campaign; Commit to doing at least one nice thing with each heart or smile
- Paint a rock with an uplifting saying or smiley face and leave it in your neighborhood
- Do something kind for a teacher, classmate, friend, parent or neighbor (write a note, bake cookies, take out their trash, shovel snow, bring them flowers, make a Valentine)
- Dress up in a silly costume
- Juggle or attempt another talent
- Tell a joke
- Make up a Tik Tok dance with your family
- Get your photo taken with the GIVE Day SMILE mural at TJ!!
Please take a photo or video and post it using the hashtag #GiveDaySmile and Tag @FCEPTA on Twitter or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will compose a slideshow showcasing your kind actions and silly photos on February 15th.
TJ’s GIVE Day ambassadors invite the community to join us in a Month of Service opportunities! Beginning with the National Day of Service on MLK Jr Day (January 18) and culminating with Presidents’ Day (February 15), fifth graders at TJ Elementary have coordinated many service projects benefiting several worthy causes. All projects are open to any individuals or families looking to make a difference in our local and greater community. Join us for one project, many, or all of them!
- January 18 – MLK Day Power Packs Collection (Drop off at TJ 2-3pm) — DONE!
- January 22-24 – Pet Food Drive (Drop off various locations) — DONE!
- January 25 through Feb 15 – Collect cards of support for organ donors, recipients, and healthcare workers (drop off box at TJ)
- January 30, 9-11am – Bake Sale (Community Center) — DONE!
- February 9 – Restaurant Fundraiser at Lost Dog Cafe (Westover location). Details here.
- February 13 – BINGO Game Night Fundraiser 5:00-6:00 pm (Virtual). Click here to register and to purchase a BINGO Card.
- February 8-15 – Make Someone Smile (around FCC)
- February 15 – Bloodmobile Drive (at TJ). Information on how to sign up to donate blood is here. Donors will be given a long-sleeved t-shirt.
- Through Feb 15 – Collect cards of support for organ donors, recipients, and healthcare workers (drop off box at TJ)
“Everybody can be great, because anybody can serve.” -MLK, Jr.
GIVE Day (“Get Involved, Value Everyone”) is a service-learning experience coordinated by the FCEPTA and 5th grade student ambassadors with leadership from GMHS volunteers.
Given the pandemic, “GIVE Day” as it has occurred in the past will look differently this year. Instead of one large scale event, the 5th grade Ambassadors have been divided into 5 areas of interest, which they will research and execute a drive or community campaign with the help for GMHS volunteers:
- Organ Donation Awareness
- Animal Welfare
- Collective Art Project
- Local Schools in Need
- Food Insecurity
The Goal of GIVE Day
- To provide the 5th graders with a leadership opportunity
- To reinforce PYP character traits
- To have the 5th graders focused on a goal bigger than themselves
- To allow the ambassadors to run their awareness campaign or drive independently.